La Bisbal d’Empordà, the capital of the Baix Empordà district, is famous for its ceramics and antiques.
The city preserves an interesting centre with narrow streets, a great number of buildings and architectural features which are well worth visiting. The most emblematic and significant building is the castle-palace, a real treasure of Catalan civil Romanesque style. Built by the bishops of Girona at the end of the 16th century, with a ground floor, first floor and a tower, it was renovated several times between the 15th and 18th centuries. Other outstanding items of heritage are the Call o Judería (Jewish quarter), a narrow, dark backstreet in the form of a zigzag; the church of Santa María (1701-1757), a large Baroque building with a single nave with side chapels; the church of La Piedad (1788), the monumental grating and door in cast iron of the church of Los Dolores (1750), both in ornate Baroque, and the Viejo bridge (1606), the oldest of the three bridges over the Daró. Las Voltas, a set of porticoed houses planned in the 19th century, are a characteristic feature of the urban network and its business.
T. +34 972 667 740 - F. +34 972 667 736 - email@example.com
17256 Platja de Pals (Costa Brava) Girona - Spain - GPS: 41º59'43.69" N, 3º11'50.00" E